Friedman Benda at Design Miami 2023
NEW YORK, NY (November 8, 2023) – For Design Miami/ 2023, Friedman Benda will bring a group presentation of works by Ini Archibong, Andrea Branzi, Wendell Castle, Byung Hoon Choi, Najla El Zein, Frida Escobedo, Misha Kahn, Joris Laarman, Raphael Navot, Samuel Ross, Faye Toogood, and Thaddeus Wolfe.
Showcasing various ways the artists engage with nature as a source of inspiration, subject matter or materials, the exhibition presents a curated collection of museum-quality design pieces, a significant number of which are new and previously unseen in the U.S. Highlights include:
- A chandelier by Ini Archibong and “afterimage of beginning 021-576” by Byung Hoon Choi, both on view for the first time
- “Maple Leaves” lamp by Andrea Branzi, created for his 2023 solo show at Friedman Benda
- “Evening Star,” a unique sculptural bench by Wendel Castle
- “Seduction, pair 6” by Najla El Zein, which offers a glimpse into her upcoming solo exhibition at the gallery
- “Creek Chair” by Frida Escobedo
- “Acrostic (Disperse)” sofa by Raphael Navot and “Lode II” and “Plot II”, two major Purbeck marble pieces by Faye Toogood, both shown in the U.S. for the first time.
Left: Najla El Zein, “Seduction, Pair 06”, 2019. Right: Byung Hoon Choi, “afterimage of beginning 021-576,” 2021
Left: Misha Kahn, Azimuth 90, 2023. Right: Frida Escobedo, Creek Chair, 2022
Convention Center Drive & 19th Street, Miami Beach, FL
Preview Day December 5, 2023
Public Show Days December 6-10, 2023
A selection of images can be found here.
About Friedman Benda
Friedman Benda represents prominent established and emerging designers, as well as historically significant estates that span five continents and five generations. With the goal to expand the dialogue in design and explore perspectives that have previously been marginalized, Friedman Benda identifies and advances key narratives that intersect contemporary design, craft, architecture, art, and technological research. Since 2007, the gallery’s exhibitions, publications and collaborations with institutions have played a vital role in the development of the contemporary design market and scholarship. With locations in New York, Los Angeles and Paris, Friedman Benda’s engagement with the global design community promotes synthesis between leading thinkers and makers and seeks opportunities to advance new connections across the field. For further information please visit www.friedmanbenda.com and the gallery’s Instagram @friedman_benda and YouTube channel @FriedmanBenda.
Blue Medium, Inc.
T: +1 (212) 675-1800
T: +1 (212) 239-8700